fireandice

Fire and Ice

Endless
Amanda Gray
Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea)
Lani Woodland, Melonie Piper
The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit
Octavia Spencer

The Jaguar Stones, Book One: Middleworld

Middleworld - Jon Voelkel, Pamela Voelkel This book was donated as an advanced reader copy from Egmont publishing, and I will say I love the cover. I think it pulls readers in with the rich detail and Mayan stone skulls in the water waves. Jaguar Stones book #1 reminded me a lot of Indiana Jones for middle grade readers.The first chapters revisit a lot of Mayan history and culture and the characters are mysterious and adventurous. I really enjoyed Max's short stay a the "banana factory" and discoveries in the secret room.

I had a hard time with the main male Max and his spoiled attitude as well was hoping the relationship between him and his female sidekick would have had more lead up and development. I found myself annoyed with some of the dialogue between the two main heroes because of Max's attitude and her nickname for him, "Hup."

That being said, though, I do think it is a great read for middle grades and one which will feed your child's imagination. There are black and white illustrations scattered through the book which I really think add to the story. "Middleworld" is free of any swearing or mature situations which as a mom I truly appreciate. It is a fun book with loads of potential as an interesting series! And it will leave you wanting to learn more about ancient history which is a gift. Thanks so much to the publishers for letting me get a sneak peek. It is available on the shelves now! Please eamil me with your mailing address if you are interested in reading Middleworld as a part of our ARC tour and be sure to enter the Jaguar Stone earring on our blog http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com!