fireandice

Fire and Ice

Endless
Amanda Gray
Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea)
Lani Woodland, Melonie Piper
The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit
Octavia Spencer

Beautiful Darkness (Beautiful Creatures, Book 2)

Beautiful Darkness - Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl Advanced Reading Copy

First of all a special thanks to fellow Twilight MOM Laura for letting me borrow her advanced reading copy of Beautiful Darkness before its release. She's the best!I enjoyed Beautiful Darkness even more that I did Beautiful Creatures.

Lena is in a tough spot after the evetns that unfoleded on the night of her 16th birthday. She's grieving and trying to figure out where she stands. Torn between the world of a light and dark caster. Book #2 of the Caster Chronicles has a much more angsty feel as Lena is in the thick of things.

Here's what I loved about the book

1) New bad boy character John Breed. I wish we could have learned more about him but I have a hunch he will be back in a big way in book #3.
2) The rich world building that combines every day southern culture and caster underground. In this book you are introduced to tunnels laying under Gatlin and secret passageways into a whole other world. Picture the Wizard of Oz alternate pathways to explore.
3) The background history behind who Ethan's mother Lila was and how intertwined his family is with Lena's. She is a strong female adult character who influences past and future.
4) More of Ethan's housekeeper Amma. She keeps popping up in random places during the story to save the day. She's got some sass and know how to whip up a mean pie for the county faire.
5) The detail in Kami and Margie's writing. They almost pack so much in there its hard to process it all. But wow! They've upped the anty in this book. Intelligent, beautiful rich passages make the story immersive.

On the flipside, it took me a while to get back into the groove after a year has lapsed since the first book Beautiful Creatures. I would recommend reading that one again before picking up #2. There are a lot of repeat characters and back history that would be difficult to understand without the prequel. The series definitely builds on itself.

My favorite scene: when Ethan finds Lena on her ceiling surrounded in her thoughts. For some reason is an image that stuck with me after I finished. She is dealing with so many complex emotions and her writing, doodling and dress portray what she is feeling on the inside.

My favorite thing overall about the series: all of the symbolism and objects they tie into the story. It makes the book more tangible and real.