fireandice

Fire and Ice

Endless
Amanda Gray
Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea)
Lani Woodland, Melonie Piper
The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit
Octavia Spencer

Being Sixteen

Being Sixteen - Ally Condie The first time I saw this book on the shelf at Deseret Book I have to admit I put it back. I just wasn't sure I was ready to read another book dealing with eating disorders. Then after reading Matched I decided I wanted to delve into more of Ally's past titles. Being Sixteen resonated with me on so many levels. It hit deep within my core and it's one of my top three favorite books of the year. I found myself in tears several times while reading as the message breathes truth and hope. Allyson Condie takes on eating disorders with grace and style. Her voice is poetic, and real. Here's one of my favorite passages from Juliet, who struggles with isolation and disappointment in the wake of her sister's disorder.

"On one level I was ashamed of how weak I was, of how I'd do anything to avoid feeling hurt. But on another level I felt almost strong, a little proud of the way I'd cut off the parts of my life that made me feel too much sadness." p. 124

This is a book I would wholeheartedly recommend to every Young Woman I know as well as her parents. Many crucial facets of diagnosis, treatment and the long road to recovery from anorexia and bulimia are addressed. Two sister's struggles and growing pains are woven beautifully into the pages showing that even those from strong functional families have life altering problems.

Being Sixteen explores the effects of an eating disorder on loved ones and family as well and how easily faith in Heavenly Father can dim, to later be rekindled. Thank you so much to Deseret Book for sending me this book for review. It is one that I will forever remember. Five stars plus.