fireandice

Fire and Ice

Endless
Amanda Gray
Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea)
Lani Woodland, Melonie Piper
The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit
Octavia Spencer

Griffin Rising

Griffin Rising (Book One: Earth) - Darby Karchut wristband giveaway and full review at http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com/2011/03/book-review-griffin-rising.html

Griffin Rising was a surprisingly enjoyable debut about the use of free agency and overcoming an abusive past. It's a mixture of action, myth and young romance perfect for middle grade to young adult readers. Angel in training Griffin is 13 years old and stuck with an evil mentor, Nicoplolis who has less than orthodox training methods. Like all Tarrae Angeli, Nicopolis is bound to earth, and has the right to choose, but he uses his power in an abusive way and young Tiro, student, Griffin is the recipient.

Fast forward three years and you are at Chapter one of Griffin Rising. Now age 16, young Fin has a new mentor named Basil who takes the ashes of the past and builds up a stronger angel that can control the elements. The two of them are master and student, father and son. Their relationship is based on respect and trust- a model of functional parenting.

Griffin as a lot to learn to become a guardian angel saving humans in danger so Basil recommends a journal. Readers get an inside glimpse to three character's entries which makes Griffin Rising a personal and layered read.

Just as our young hero is beginning to gain some self confidence, a new family moves in across the street to become a slight distraction. Kate is Griffin's age, her parents Lewis and Helen professors at the local University specializing in angel lore. Their family is grounded, tight knit, a great example. The interactions of both Kate and Griffin with their parents were some of my favorite parts of this book.

I would recommend Griffin Rising to all readers ages 12 and older as there is some minor violence. It stuck with me for several days after I finished because of the depth the author builds into her families and characters. Darby Karchut takes a very original slant on angels based on an ancient manuscript and brings it into the modern day every day life of two teenagers falling in love. Thanks so much to the author for sending us a copy as well as a wrist band which we are giving away to you our readers at Fire and Ice.