fireandice

Fire and Ice

Endless
Amanda Gray
Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea)
Lani Woodland, Melonie Piper
The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit
Octavia Spencer

The Near Witch

The Near Witch - Victoria Schwab Win art and jewelry inspired by The Near Witch on our site at http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com ends May 4, 2011

The Near Witch is a bedtime story remembered in fragments passed down from father to daughter to sister. Victoria Schwab uses rich poetic folklore to lure readers into the village of Near which is closed off and has it's suspicions of anyone unusual. The villagers live in fear which is heightened as a stranger blows into town and small children begin disappearing without a trace. The stranger, Cole is indeed mysterious and draws the curiosity of main character Lexi. She is unlike the other women of her time. Lexi is a tracker and feels the moor around her as very alive. She honors the memory of her father and the land -accepting those shunned with the respect she was taught. But when her own family is placed in danger Lexi will step up to find the kidnapper.

A slow building atmospheric tale, this is a book that starts out subtly and ends in thick, creepy tension. It's clean and suited for middle readers graduating to YA. With it's old world fairy tale feel, readers who enjoyed Hansel and Gretel, Little Red or more currently, The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell will also love The Near Witch. Victoria Schwab can sure spin a wonderful tale not to be read alone or in the dark! Thanks to Netgalley and Hyperion Children's for the sneak peek. And to Ms. Schwab for helping me create photo images and jewelry to match the mood of her book. She's a lovely person and what a stunningly strong debut!

If you would like a chance to win a TNW inspired 8x12 photo print from LittleRedReads on Etsy, just comment below with your favorite item in our collection based on The Near Witch.