fireandice

Fire and Ice

Endless
Amanda Gray
Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea)
Lani Woodland, Melonie Piper
The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit
Octavia Spencer

Trial by Fire: A Raised by Wolves Novel

Trial by Fire - Jennifer Lynn Barnes Full review here http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com/2011/06/book-review-trial-by-fire.html

Trial by Fire, installment two of the Raised by Wolves series begins with Bryn as the new Alpha of the small but strong Cedar Ridge Pack. Bryn is very unusual, because not only is she female, but she is a human and her pack is werewolf. Things become complicated for the new Alpha when a foreign wolf, Lucas stumbles across the border and lands on her doorstep asking for refuge. He's badly wounded, having been abused by his captors, but Bryn is torn between having compassion on the rogue wolf and protecting her pack from the consequences that will occur if she allows him to stay. Werewolf politics won't allow Bryn to rely on Callum anymore for advice. And, her main rival Shay of the Snake Bend Pack is testing the limits of territory borders plus claiming ownership of the rogue wolf. Will Bryn be able to maintain her position as Alpha when it seems several members of the Council are just waiting to see her fail? What about the new added threat which is so unlike anything she has ever faced before...a coven of psychics.

What I really love about this series is the driven, focused plot centered around the mentality of a pack of werewolves. The writing gives readers a chance to really step in and feel what the dynamics inside the group. You feel like you are a part of the pack. You hear the inner dialogue and feel what Devon, Lake, Maddy and the others might feel. In Trial by Fire, we also get a lot of interesting back history on Ali, Bryn's foster mother, and we see Bryn pushing back against Ali's desire to exercise authority over Bryn as she has in the past. Bryn is definitely the Alpha now and won't take much from anyone who steps up to challenge her.

Jennifer Lynn Barnes creates characters that will stick with you long after you're done reading. They are well developed and each unique in their own right. Devon is one of my very favorites with his funny sense of humor and undying loyalty to Bryn. (Now we just need to find him someone special in book three!) I also wish we would see more of Chase and Bryn together, but I understand she is so busy fighting for her pack there's not a whole lot of time for romance. This is an intriguing werewolf series which is unique and well thought out by the author. I'm curious to see where the series goes form here as it seems Bryn has faced so much opposition already! Thanks so much to EgmontUSA for the early chance to read book two. Learn more and view the new book trailer by visiting Jennifer Lynn Barnes website.