fireandice

Fire and Ice

Endless
Amanda Gray
Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea)
Lani Woodland, Melonie Piper
The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit
Octavia Spencer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin Full review at http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com/2011/07/review-unbecoming-of-mara-dyer.html

Hmmmm. This is one of those really hard reviews to write because there is so much you can't say since the book isn't due to hit shelves until September. Plus it's plot is shrouded in mystery and suspense and I want to keep it that way. So here's what I will say...

What I liked: The cover is a five. Wow. Beautiful. I could frame it!
The author is awesome. I met her at BEA and she responds well to her fans. And, I must say the Who is Mara Dyer? T-shirts she gave out are mighty comfy and clever.
(P.S. we are giving one away here as part of our BEA book box and it ends at midnight tonight)

This book sucked me in because I love psychological thrillers. Mara is dealing with some heavy duty issues such as PTSD and hallucinations which I really like to see addressed so openly in YA literature.

I have a love hate relationship with both the main characters. Mara has quite the trashy mouth which for me is hard to read. I like that she tells it like she sees it, just maybe not so colorfully. Main bad boy Noah was the love 'em leave 'em type before Mara came along. Even though I seriously wonder why both of them acted the way they did at times I was still rooting for them. By far the best character of the book was Mara's brother Daniel. It is so refreshing to see a good strong sibling relationship!

What didn't I like? There were some holes in plot and at times I was scratching my head wondering what in the world was going on. Santaria? The missing shop and priest?
Where did Mara's best friend Jaime go- I mean I know he was grounded...but?
Didn't really like the paranormal elements.
Also a little too much foreshadowing for my taste.

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone. So...I predict this book will be huge. While it was captivating, I still personally have very mixed feelings about it. I'm not even sure how to rate with stars- my feelings were torn.

In short, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is steeping in eery atmospheric undertones. It's definitely one you'll read all in one sitting.

Content- heavy swearing, sexual tension and petting, underage smoking. Not for younger teens.

Thanks so much to Simon & Schuster for the advanced reading copy!