fireandice

Fire and Ice

Endless
Amanda Gray
Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea)
Lani Woodland, Melonie Piper
The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit
Octavia Spencer

Shatter Me

Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi 3.5 stars

I have really torn feelings about this book. The first thing that struck me is how similar it feels to Possessed by Elana Johnson. Both start out with a girl in jail who gets a male roommate who ends up being someone who knows her, both are dystopian with a paranormal twist. So this didn't feel all that new to me. Tahereh Mafi's prose and writing style was a times lyrical and beautiful and at other times the strike through verse and metaphors were distracting. So here's the break down for me...

What I struggled with: Warner. I know some of you may think he's got an appealing side but he is the ultimate creepy antagonist to me. He reminds me of Hitler and the scenes he was in were too violent and sadistic for me.

Suspension of disbelief that being locked up as long as she was, Juliette would have the rage of hormones that she does as well as the ability to be sexy to every man that crosses her path.

While I enjoy the good kissing scenes this felt like too much sexual tension for a young adult novel. Too much too fast. This is one for older teens, not 14 year olds.

The last part of the novel felt completely disjointed from the first. It shifts gears from dystopian to X-Men with a paranormal twist. At times it reminded me of Disney's Incredibles. I know the scene is being set for a sequel but the ending chapters struck me as odd.

What I enjoyed: Shatter Me is engaging. Once you pick it up you won't want to put it down. It's interesting and unique in its style.

I love childhood crushes rekindled. The relationship between Adam and Juliette reminds me of one of my favorite books Sweethearts by Sara Zarr. I like that it shows those from a dysfunctional abusive home can still choose to be good and kind.

I liked the relationship between Adam and his brother, that even though he has a new love interest, he goes back to save his little brother and protect him.

Overall: I will be reading the rest of the series but am hoping there is a little less focus on lust and more seamless transition between the two worlds represented-the Reestablishment and the Omega rebels.

Content: moderate swearing, lots of sexual tension and heavy making out/ petting, moderate violence. Not for younger teens.