fireandice

Fire and Ice

Endless
Amanda Gray
Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea)
Lani Woodland, Melonie Piper
The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit
Octavia Spencer

Everneath

Everneath - Brodi Ashton http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com/2011/12/everneath-arc-tour-and-book-breview.html

So here's the deal, if you're looking for a happy go lucky sunny walk in the park Everneath is quite the opposite. It's a real hard look at the true to life feelings of a teen who has returned to the earth as a shell of the girl she once was. She's lost her mother in a drink driving accident and in a moment of grief made a choice which alters her path for the next hundred years to eternity. If you know the author, Brodi Ashton, she is a hilarious human with a sassy sense of humor, but writing Everneath she followed a voice much unlike her own. Brodi says " My book, EVERNEATH?: not funny. Not hardy har har funny. Sometimes it can be funny in a "Can you believe there's So. Much. Death?" kind of way. Other times it's funny in a "OMG she is so screwed! lol" kind of way. Have you ever had a story call to you that scares you because you don't think you can write it? I say... write it! I did." She has some guts people!

Everneath is a unique take on the ancient tale of Persephone and Hades with a dash of Egyptian mythology. Main heroine Nikki has just spent 100 years in the Everneath with bad boy Cole who feeds off of her life essence. At the end of her term she chooses to return to the surface (earth) for the last time. Six months to say goodbye to her family and six months to reconcile her feelings with Jack, the only bit of memory she was able to retain in the underworld. His face kept her alive while she endured her own personal hell. And now the challenge for Nikki is overcoming her emaciated sense of hopelessness to make the choice between becoming an Everliving Queen at Cole's side or anchoring to the hope of Jack. Told in both present and past tense, Everneath explores addiction, co dependence, parental trust, grief and the ultimate redeeming power of love. The ending is one heck of a cliffhanger, so prepare yourselves to be invested for a trilogy. Everneath is haunting, intelligent and engaging. Bravo to Brodi for being so brave. An awesome and unique debut! And the cover...my very favorite of 2012.