fireandice

Fire and Ice

Endless
Amanda Gray
Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea)
Lani Woodland, Melonie Piper
The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit
Octavia Spencer

Clockwork Prince (Infernal Devices)

Clockwork Prince - Cassandra Clare Full 4.5 star review at http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com/2011/12/book-review-clockwork-prince.html

I was a huge fan of the first three books in Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series but have to admit that she lost me with City of Fallen Angels as well as Clockwork Angel, the first in the Infernal Devices series. I didn't finish either book. I know hardcore Cassie fans will think I'm crazy but I just felt a loss for where my favorite writing and characters had gone. I decided the give things one more try with book two in the Infernal Devices. I can say wasn't disappointed with Clockwork Prince. The thing I love about Cassandra Clare is her rich descriptions, witty banter between characters and the inclusion of literary classics within her storyline. I finally felt like things are back to what I fell in love with in the first place. The steles are back, the feel of magic and loyalty, the rich world building. Clockwork Prince is set in Victorian London, a mix of steampunk and paranormal with several scenes of romance. I wouldn't pass this one on to a young teenager, which is my main complaint about CP. There are two very steamy scenes that have a more adult romance because of the detail. There is also mention of drugs, moderate violence and lots of innuendo. So if you are a parent, I'd give the series a read yourself before you pass it on to a teen.

Overall this is my favorite of the last three Cassie has published. It has peaked my interest in how the MI and ID series overlap as well as the family lines. Does anyone want to help me out here? Have you found the family links intertwining between the two series? I'm also curious to see how things shake out between Tess, Will and Jem. I get the feeling she loves both of them for very different reasons and is concerned of breaking up their brotherly love as parabati. I'm so glad our questions are finally answered about Will's walls. I loved every interaction he and Tessa have. We see a dept to Will never before shown. Jem, while kind and attentive is not in my mind the most appealing. Maybe she ends up not choosing either! Guess we will have to wait until book three to find out. Even at over 500 pages, I'm guessing most readers will devour all of Clockwork Prince in one sitting. The beautiful seamless writing of Cassie Clare is back!