fireandice

Fire and Ice

Endless
Amanda Gray
Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea)
Lani Woodland, Melonie Piper
The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit
Octavia Spencer

Cragbridge Hall, Book 1: The Inventor's Secret

The Inventor's Secret - Chad  Morris

I'm so excited to be a part of Deseret Book's blog tour for Cragbridge Hall, Book One: Inventor's Secret. I heard of this book the week I recived it from my elementary aged children who had a visit form the author, Chad Morris at their school. They were so entertained and excited about his presentation that they tried to wrangle the book away from me and I've been in a hurry to finish it ever since so they can have their turn! It's always a good sign when they get book envy.

Chad spends a lot of time weaving obscure and not so obscure elements of history into his storyline which takes place at a prestigious school for brilliant students of the future. The two main heroes are brother and sister team Abby and Derick who are on a mission to find out what happened to their grandfather, the schools founder as well as their parents....before it is too late. There is plenty of adventure packed into the quest to find clues. The team and their peers are allowed to use "the Bridge" which takes allows them to see history come to life and feel it as it is happening. Readers get sucked right along with them into scenes as horrifying as a bear attack and as thrilling as a slave escape.

I really loved the characters and my ability to relate to them. It is truly middle grade perfect. Everyone knows the annoying best girl friend who is vying for the attention of your brother, the mean girl who is trying to turn her clique of friends against you, and the teachers who you can't tell are on your side or not. The main voice, Abby is good just the way she is and is not perfect or fatally flawed.

My children are going to eat this one up and I am pleased to pass it on to them as it is clean and not overly violent. Well done Chad Morris for keeping me and my family fascinated with the past and the future