fireandice

Fire and Ice

Endless
Amanda Gray
Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea)
Lani Woodland, Melonie Piper
The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit
Octavia Spencer

Rebel Spirits

Rebel Spirits - Lois Ruby Being the history lover that I am, when I saw this book summary on Netgalley about a Civil War era YA title; I had to give it a try. And, I'm happy to report I was not disappointed.

Lori and her parents have just relocated from Philly to Gettysburg to take on ownership of a bed and breakfast. Along with the staff that seems to think they come with the home, the locals who re enact Civil War battles each year and the teen hot shot who mows the lawn; there is also a resident ghost. Nathaniel is drawn to Lori as someone with the ability to see those who have passed on. She may just be the key to solving his murder and how exactly he ended up buried in the local cemetery instead of being honored as a fallen soldier. With a ring that belonged to Lincoln's infant son, a night time visitor to the shed behind the hotel and a foggy graveyard there is plenty of suspense.

Rebel Spirits would be a good one to teach in the classroom as it is clean and has historical elements. There are a lot of themes that could be explored surrounding Lincoln, the Gettysburg area and period homes. The only minor flaw I struggled with was the role of Lori's parents. They were completely hands off, wrapped up in managing the affairs of their business until the plot re introduces them at a conveniently crucial time and their reaction seems not in sync with their previous absence of influence in Lori's comings and goings. I also would have loved more fleshing out of the characters. The romance is sweet and the story stuck with me after I was done!

Content: Some kissing, sneaking out to be together and mild violence.