fireandice

Fire and Ice

Endless
Amanda Gray
Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea)
Lani Woodland, Melonie Piper
The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit
Octavia Spencer

Rules of Summer

Rules of Summer - Joanna Philbin 3.5 stars. Full review at http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com/2013/05/early-arc-review-rules-of-summer-by.html

I chose Rules of Summer because of the dreamy setting an promise of a light summer read in the Hamptons, on the tip of Long Island. Rory is a Jersey girl from a no nonsense background living wither her mom who seems to have a hard time picking reliable men. Tired of picking up the slack and being around the drama she packs up and takes a summer job with her aunt as the live in help of the Rule family, a blue blood high society wealthy Hamptons family. Right away it becomes obvious Rory is entering a different world of country clubs, in home theatres and a daughter of the house who is used to getting whatever she wants. Isabel Rule is Rory's same age but the two couldn't be any more different. Isabel's growing pains and quest to find herself landed her in California where she picked up a love of surf. Now that she is home she feels the undeniable itch that things aren't quite the right fit anymore. So when when she runs into an older surfer in the water she gets pulled in deep.

I loved the distinction between classes and how those lines can be blurred by life and friendship. The main distraction for me was one of the love interests and what a jerk he is through the entire book. Isabel is young and doesn't seem to catch on, but the underage drinking, the age difference and sex were a giant red flag from the beginning. I wanted to yell "run!"

On the flip side, Connor Rule, "the other boy" is nice, all-American and the perfect fit. Drama is high and the pacing a little uneven, but the overall message is one of breaking down boundaries in the name of loyalty and love. If you are looking for YA contemp in the perfect place this one is for you, for older audiences due to content.