fireandice

Fire and Ice

Endless
Amanda Gray
Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea)
Lani Woodland, Melonie Piper
The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit
Octavia Spencer

How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True

How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True - Sarah Strohmeyer 3. 5 stars See full review at http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com/2013/07/ya-review-how-zoe-made-her-dreams.html

Summer is the perfect season for Sarah Strohmeyer. Her light, funny voice carries you away to Fairyland where high school students are pushing and shoving their way to the top as interns as storybook characters at a high end amusement park. Zoe and her cousin Jess show up for their first day only to find themselves in the smelly no air conditioned dorms rather than the palatial Cinderella suites of the princesses. And to make matter worse, Zoe doesn't even have a real place in the mayhem. She's sequestered away to serve "the Queen", the boss and owner of the park with her demanding little dog named Tinkerbell and obsessive rules. Zoe has to make the most of her midnight walking the dog. When one night she stumbles into "the forbidden zone", an off limits portion of the park she's rescued by a mysterious Prince Charming who is obviously breaking the rules! Can she unravel his identity and serve the Queen while also keeping her heart in check?

I loved the strong character development and fun setting of How Zoe Made Her Dreams Mostly Come True. You can literally step into the craziness that is furry creatures running around in smelly costumes and princesses forced to do weigh ins. Then there is the crumbling old ladies shoe and forgotten once was portion of the park that lies beyond the perimeter. The tone is light with an underlying theme if recovering from the loss of a parent and loyalty. The only thing I struggled with was a bit of repetitiveness in plot elements and phrases like "Dream and Do" ( the scholarsthip they are all out to get) and "Wow TM Spirit." There were times when I wished the plot would have been a little bit more evenly paced and moving along a bit faster.

What I loved is that the story, time and place stuck with me long after I put it down. I could smell, taste and feel Fairyland. I am going to check out Strohmeyer's other books when I need a pick me up. Thanks so much to Balzer and Bray for such a fun ride!

Content: A few minor swear words and one overnight kissing session.