fireandice

Fire and Ice

Endless
Amanda Gray
Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea)
Lani Woodland, Melonie Piper
The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit
Octavia Spencer

Eliza: The Life and Faith of Eliza R. Snow

Eliza R. Snow: Her Life and Legacy - Karen Lynn Davidson Full review at http://fireandicephoto.blogspot.com/2...

As a lifetime member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I confess I did not know much about Eliza R. Snow before picking up this book. I had heard her name and seen her portrait but the innermost thoughts of her heart were a mystery to me. After reading Eliza I feel I have grown to love her and revere her as an example of strength, fortitude and faith.

Eliza R. Snow was born to a New England family with strong revolutionary War roots. Her father was respected in his civic and business spheres and he often took Eliza with him to work alongside him in his duties. From a young age she was exposed to a world many women of her time never saw. Through the encouragement of her parents, she sought an education and developed a love of writing poetry which later flourished until she came to be known as "Zion's poetess." She left behind so much of what she loved in her childhood home of Mantua, Ohio to follow the prophet Joseph Smith- later to become his wife before the martyrdom. Then, once again she picked up her things and traveled West with the Saints making her way to Utah with Brigham Young as one of his wives. Eliza was instrumental is organizing and leading the women, youth and children of the church as well as devoting much of her time in the endowment house doing Temple work. She was stalwart, encouraging and uplifting-- often penning personal letters and verse to those she loved.

This book is a multi-media, gift quality collection of handwritten poems, antique cabinet card photos and historical documents. It gives the reader a taste of what it was like to step into each period of Eliza's long life. Many of the pages are filled with the hymns and poems that we have come to love including one of my favorites "Oh My Father." I even found one of my ancestors, German Ellsworth listed in a musical program copy tying my family roots to Eliza's story. I would whole heartedly recommend this book and it is a treasure I will keep on my shelves and share with my children.

Thanks so much to Deseret Book for allowing us to be a part of the blog tour